History

The Town of Hartford was within the bounds of the old Charlotte County, which was renamed Washington County after the American Revolution.

The Provincial Patent (26,000 acres), later renamed the Town of Hartford, was granted to 26 commissioned officers of the New York Infantry – who were veterans of the French and Indian War, May 2, 1764. Archibald Campbell directed the survey of the grant into 104 lots, each containing 300 acres, more or less.

The Provincial Patent was included in the Town of Westfield and comprised the present towns of Putnam, Fort Ann, Dresden and a portion of Kingsbury, besides the present Hartford.

In 1793 the Patent contained enough inhabitants to be set off from Westfield. This was done and the Town of Hartford received its name on March 12, 1793.

**********************

MORE HISTORIC INFORMATION:

Museum & Civil War Enlistment Center