Sandra Foley Mailing Address
Sole Assessor 256 Alexandria Ave
Office: (518)632-5259 Ticonderoga, NY 12883
Fax: (518) 632-9280
Office Hours: Wednesday 9am-Noon
Other Hours: By Appointment
Email: [email protected]
Click here to view: Official Washington County , NY Website
DETAILED ONLINE DATA INFORMATION– Washington County Online Data Viewer
FINAL ASSESSMENT ROLL DATA– Final Roll
The Town of Hartford’s Sole Assessor is appointed by the Town Board.
IMPORTANT DATES ON THE
March 1st – Taxable Status Date
The Assessor is required by New York State Law to value property as it is on this date. A partially completed building will receive a partial assessment based on its estimated percentage of completion as of March 1. If you suffer a loss to your property (ex: fire, demolition) after this date you will see no reduction for that loss on forthcoming roll. Exemption forms must be filed by this date also.
May 1st – Tentative Roll
The tentative roll is a list, in alphabetical order, of all Real Property in the Town as of Taxable Status Date. Some of the information on these parcels include owner’s names, locations, acreage, property class, assessed values and exemptions. Tentative Roll is filed with the Town Clerk and is available for viewing.
4th Tuesday in May – Grievance Day
Contact the Assessor prior to Grievance Day with any complaints regarding your assessment. All complaints about assessments and exemptions must be received no later than this day. If you fail to file your complaint by grievance day you will not be able to file again until next year. The Board of Assessment Review begins its hearings on this date at the Hartford Town Hall with times posted.
July 1st – Final Roll
Any changes made to the Tentative Roll by the Board of Assessment Review will show on this roll. Final Roll is filed with the Town Clerk and is available for viewing.
September 1st – School taxes
School taxes become due, payable to the School Tax Collector.
January 1st – Town and County taxes
Town and County taxes become due, payable to the Town Tax Collector.
& DUTIES INCLUDE
All property transfers are recorded in this office. New owners names are recorded as well as selling prices of properties involved. Sales verification letters are sent to ascertain the correctness of this information.
All property merges and splits are recorded and given an assessed value. Tax maps are located in the Hartford Town Hall. They show the dimensions of parcels and their location in Town.
All address changes should be reported to this office.
Some of the exemptions;
- Veterans – must have served during a qualifying period of war (DD214 requested) in which no renewal is required.
- Agricultural – various exemptions and requirements.
- Senior Citizen – 65 years or older, income based, including Social Security.
- Business – new construction or remodeling of an existing structure, must qualify.
- Low Income Disability – proof of disability from Social Security, Railroad Retirement Board, State Commission for the Blind & Visually Handicapped or US Postal Service Disability Pension.
- Basic Star – available to all homeowners, primary residence only. There have been changes to the STAR program. Anyone purchasing property after March 1, 2015 must register for the STAR program through: www.tax.ny.gov Anyone age 65 or over purchasing property must also register through the same website, but also needs to contact the Assessor for any other possible exemptions.
- 2017 Enhanced Star – 65 years or older with income less than $86,000. Yearly renewal is required.
All exemptions above have a March 1st deadline and exemption forms can be obtained from the Assessor’s office or downloaded from www.tax.ny.gov/pit/property/default.htm
The answers to many assessment questions can be found at www.tax.ny.gov/pit/property/default.htm.
OTHER USEFUL CONTACTS:
For Tax Mapping & Other General Questions: Washington County Real Property Tax Service 746-2130
For Building Permit Issues: Washington County Code Enforcement 746-2150